Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Leftover egg nog. (Silk.)

Here's a post-holidays time-wasting very short survey circulating on the web.  Please feel free to contribute in comments; I love to know what people are reading.  Incidentally, I finished "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" yesterday in the pre-dawn hours.  Outstanding book; a lot to digest.  I had read elsewhere on the web about some people feeling like the narrative gets a bit out of Murakami's hands toward the end and that he seems to be throwing punches in the dark, hoping to hit something, but I thought that it ended reasonably enough, considering the many different directions of the story.  I would be very interested to read the non-abridged, three volume Japanese version - much longer than the English one-volume, supposedly ( i.e., not just longer because it's in a different language) - but I cannot read Japanese.  Maybe I will ask HC to translate it for me, as he traveled to Japan in high school and is pleased to report that beer is to be had from vending machines that do not ask for ID in that ancient land.
 
WHAT BOOKS DID YOU RECEIVE FOR THE HOLIDAY?
 
When Elephants Weep
The Book of Guys
Number 9 Dream
2 year subscription to The Sun
 
WHAT BOOKS DID YOU GIVE FOR THE HOLIDAY?
 
Little Black Book of Stories
Will Shortz Sudoku, vol. 2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home